Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Why I Occupy: Prelude

I've been trying to come up with a blog that will help explain why I am involved in the Occupy Movement here in LA, aside from my unbridled idealism.  (Seriously, if I was a Transformer, I would be Optimist Prime.)

[click for larger image]

The question has been going through my mind frequently the past couple of months; partly because people keep either asking me why I'm doing it, or telling me why I'm stupid to be doing it.  There's nothing like several dozen friends on Facebook yelling at you daily about your actions to make you examine your existence in a whole new way.  If I was a heroin addict, I don't think I would have gotten this much of an intervention.

The question of "Why am I doing this?" went through my mind a few times when I was standing in front of a line of cops last Thursday night.  (See previous blog.)  So, I'm working on the Big Answer to "why?"

The Smaller Answer has come to me many times over these past weeks, in the form of quick notes from friends from all over, who have thanked me for what I'm doing.  And I don't really think I'm doing anything, except participating.

I got this last night from a friend I haven't seen in a while:

"Hey Steve - I just wanted to send you a message to let you know how much I appreciate your Occupy updates and admire your commitment. As a new mommy at home with a 3 1/2 year old and 2 year old, being there at OccupyLA is basically impossible, but my heart is there and my living style has been on that path for awhile. We've had a local bank (for ourselves and [our businesses]) for years and am working harder all the time to make sure my very hard earned (and squeaked out) dollars support others and are not destructive (though I still have a ways to go).

So, thanks for being there. Your posts keep my spirits up in regards to all of the madness."

It's nice to think that something you're doing could be lifting someone spirits.  (Hopefully, she won't mind that I shared this, or I may have just crushed them back down.)

That might be the Big Answer, after all. All these Smaller Answers, combined.

Thanks to my friends who are supportive, and also especially the ones who think I'm crazy for doing the things I do, but still talk to me and seem to like me, anyways.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow. If nothing else, be thankful you're not a turkey...


***************

Monday, November 28th, "Independent Thinking With Steve Gelder" debuts on www.NewDissidentRadio.com.  Every weekday morning at 10AM Pacific, 1PM Eastern. 

Follow me on Twitter: @SteveGelder

or Facebook:  Independent Thinking with Steve Gelder

Don't even ask about MySpace.

No comments:

Post a Comment